Saturday, May 18, 2013

Styling Like a Greek Goddess: Aphrodite

Wow, have I been busy! Earlier this week I participated in Classic W/ Style's Greek Goddess styling competition, and I placed among the top three models. I've always loved Greek myth, so I jumped at the chance to put together an outfit. I'd actually like to do a series of Greek (and Egyptian, for that matter) goddesses some day, but for now I had to pick just one - and I chose the fairest of them all, of course! Here is my styling description from the event and some photos to show off the outfit:

Welcome everyone and thank you for coming to tonight's styling event. My name is Laura Reverie and I have transformed into Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, beauty and desire. In my hands I hold two of this goddess's identifying attributes. The mirror reflects her immense beauty, and it is in the shape of a heart that symbolizes love.  The golden apple is what she won in a contest judged by Paris that determined the fairest of the Greek goddesses. There is none more beautiful or desirable than Aphrodite.


Perhaps this goddesses' most identifiable attribute is her nudity. I have chosen to wear short silks with seashells that convey her famous birth as a full-grown woman emerging out of sea foam (Greek: aphros), from which her name is derived, and floating ashore on a scallop shell. To represent this myth, I have edited the lovely Rusalka outfit by Caverna Obscura to include the frothy sea foam silks and shell garments held together with golden coral. My eyelashes are also rimmed with tiny pearls from the sea.

My long wavy hair, Daphne by EMO-tions, is pulled up into a lovely style that is classically Greek. Atop my head I wear a golden tiara designed by Posh that has a mirror-shaped emblem to symbolize Aphrodite's beauty. The En Tournant necklace by Lazuri echoes the scallop shell shape and hangs around my neck. My wrist and ankles are adorned with golden jewelry from Second Moon, the kind that Aphrodite's smith-working husband would have made for her. Yet this goddess was sought after by many other gods and men. I wear golden strap heels that lace across the front of the foot and mystical golden light swirls around me as I move, which is an aura of godliness that sets Aphrodite apart from mere mortals.


My Style:

Shell Bra & Skirt: Rusalka I in Crystal Water by Caverna Obscura (edited)
Shoulder Silks: Rusalka II in Crystal Water by Caverna Obscura (edited)
Hair: Daphne in Dark Brown by EMO-tions
Tiara: Crown of Aphrodite by Posh
Necklace: En Tournant Necklace 2 by Lazuri
Bracelet & Anklets: Mirror Cageo Bangles & Anklets by Second Moon
Shoes: Athena Heels in Gold by Bad Kitty
Nails: Glitter Manicure Prim Nails by Sexy Mamas
Eyelashes: Lash Architect with Round Diamonds by NOYA
Lipstick: Tia Maria Lip Gel by M.O.C.K
Mirror: Heart Hand Mirror by AtiXx Design (edited)
Apple: From Crate of Apples by Eclyps 3D (edited)

I would like to thank the owners, staff, and members of the CWS community for giving me this wonderful opportunity to develop my modeling skills in such a talented, supportive and active group. I have truly grown as an individual because of this experience, and every day I learn from you all. I am honored to be in your company.


I found the Rusalka dress by Caverna Obscura to be very lovely and it had many elements that I was looking for, but I actually did quite a bit of editing to the small prims to achieve a look that was less mermaid and more Aphrodite washing ashore. After all, every Greek goddess needs her identifying attributes. It works and has a creative twist. Styling this outfit was a lot of fun, and it's always interesting to see the many interpretations on a theme that compete in these styling events. If you haven't watched one yet, then you should! Classic W/ Style Corporation holds them every week, Monday-Wednesday at 5 pm slt on the Main Stage. Here's your limo to the next event: CWS Main Stage Audience. Near where you'll land is a sign that gives you a complete schedule. Come and check it out!


     ☆´¨)  xoxo,                                                                                                                                
(.¸.•´ (¸.•` ☆ .:. Laura Reverie ..
:☆¨*•.
                                                                 
´. 5.18.13

No comments:

Post a Comment