Friday, May 10, 2013

Peacock Feathers & Pearls: A 1920s Styling

Newly enrolled in the University of Classic W/ Style's Advanced Masters in Modeling course, I have been tasked with creating a 1920s styling for the first casting class of the month. I have always loved this era of jazz, speakeasies and flappers, but hadn't actually studied 1920s fashion in depth until now. What a joy it's been to research vintage trends online, peruse the Marketplace and in-world shops, and explore historic period sims! While putting this look together, I made every effort to pay close attention to historic accuracy and I sought high quality and unique items. Here is the pageant-style description that I have prepared for this outfit:

Good evening, my name is Laura Reverie and I am a young woman dressed for a night of dancing and jazz music during the Roaring Twenties. The olive knee-length dress that I'm wearing tonight, designed by Choke, is a statement of the new found freedom that women of this era were experiencing for the first time. It shows off my bare arms and has a hem that falls just above the knee, which allows a peek of rouged bare skin to be visible above my knee-length silk stockings. This tubular dress falls straight from the shoulders and has a very loose-fitting, boyish form that de-emphasizes my chest and hips - a much sought-after silhouette of the day. With only stitching to suggest a dropped waistline, this dress allows me greater movement as I dance the Charleston all night long. It is embellished with decorative beads and embroidered patterns, characteristic of the ornamentation popular for that time.


Also in keeping with the fashion I have bobbed my dark hair, which was designed by Bliensen & MaiTai. It is fastened in back with those newly invented bobby pins and the short front pieces along my temple are curled into perfect little spitcurls. The coordinating olive green bandeau that I wear on my head has a fine mesh netting that covers my hair and keeps it in place while I dance. It is ornamented with teardrop pearls that frame my face, a bow in back, and three peacock feathers attached to the side with a pin, evidence of the craze for the exotic during this era. I wear matching pearl earrings and an elaborate decorative necklace made by Maxi Gossamer that has pearl beads that fall low down my chest. On one hand I wear an ornate pearl bracelet by Terra d'ombrA which I absolutely love. It has ornate attached beading that elegantly covers the back of my hand and fastens to a ring, which is a glamorous alternative to a glove that reveals more skin.


I am also showing off my ankles and the skin of my feet in these stylish T-strap shoes, created by L'Emporio. They have been dyed to match my dress color and they're perfect for dancing, considered to be sexy for the era. My nails are painted with the new enamel paint that has recently emerged and I have applied bold red lipstick and smudged dark kohl eyeliner along with false eyelashes to draw attention to my face. Since I carry these cosmetics with me, as is the new trend of the period, I have an embroidered handbag with decorative metal clasp and fringe beading that coordinates with my outfit. All of the fashion elements in the ensemble that I am wearing are classic signs of the liberating freedom of the 1920s woman and appropriately evoke that great era.

My Style:

Dress: Daisy Moss by Choke
Hair & Hat: Flashmans Opium in Jet Black by Bliensen & MaiTai
Necklace & Earrings: Angelika by Maxi Gossamer
Hand Jewelry: Marie Antoinette Parure by Terra d'ombrA
Ring: Vintage Rose in Vert by Eclectica
Bag: Pastel Beaded Bag in Peach by The Millinery Shoppe
Stockings: Naturel Knee-highs by Lali's
Shoes: Melinda T-Strap Shoes in Olive by L'Emporio
Nails: Drop Dead Red Manicure Prim Nails #41 by Sexy Mamas
Lipstick: Lip Creme in Cinnamon by M.O.C.K
Eyelashes: Fancy by Redgrave
Eyeliner: [K]Ojen MK02 by KOOQLA

Here is a collage that I have created using images of period clothing that I found to be an inspiration for this outfit. I discovered many of these pictures through google searches and on www.etsy.com. Also to give credit, I did a great deal of research on 1920s fashion on www.fashionencyclopedia.com. These are terrific resources for learning about and looking at vintage clothing.


The SL photographs in this post were taken in the 1920s Chicago sim, a truly wonderful recreation of a cultural epicenter from that era. Wearing this outfit in that sim, I felt transported back in time and must agree with their slogan, "who says you can't live in the past?" One of the most wonderful things about Second Life is the opportunity to experience aspects of the world that cannot be done in real life. This is one of them. So go dress yourself up in the glorious fashions of the 1920s and dance your way down to Chicago: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Shepham%20Estates/129/224/22. I'll see you there!


     ☆´¨)  xoxo,                                                                                                                                
(.¸.•´ (¸.•` ☆ .:. Laura Reverie ..
:☆¨*•.
                                                                 
´. 5.10.13

No comments:

Post a Comment